Tuesday 5 January 2016

Day 16 - Turbo No Run

Being a Tuesday I was meant to be having a run but I have really been feeling my Achilles getting worse recently. As a result of this I kinda felt it was prudent to give the running a rest for a while (the longer runs at least) and instead jump on the bike instead. The only real issue I have with this is the fact that it is far too dark to cycle in the mornings before school and by the time I get home it is also far too dark.

Now then, yes I know that I could put lights on. And yes, I know that I could cycle to school. And yes, I know that I could just go for a bike straight after school and do my school work some other time but this just doesn't work. I don't have any lights that are actually good enough and I don't want to get into school all sweaty and horrible. There is an obvious solution though, even though it isn't quite the same as going on the road... TURBO.

The turbo I have is in the garage and can be a little bit noisy but it works, it efficient, as far as I know, and will do the job. As soon as Siân and Rosy went to swimming I was in the garage peddling as if my life depended on it. After doing a very short video for the vlog and plugging in the music I was on my way. I mixed up the tempo of my cadence in line with the chorus and verses of the rocking playlist (mainly 30 Seconds to Mars and Lenny Kravitz) and tried to keep my heart rate as close to 146 as I possibly could. Bizarrely, it was the fastest turbo session I've done and never once did I really want it to end before the time was up, in fact I went over the 45 minutes I had wanted to do.

In total I was spinning my not so little legs for just over 47 minutes at an average speed of 11.9mph that meant that I would've traveled 9.32 miles. This in itself is not that good a speed but on the turbo for me it is great and I'm sure it will stand me in good stead for later on in the training program.

If you hear strange noises coming from my garage, please just walk on by... I'll be getting all hot and sweaty with my bike. See you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment