Saturday 1 January 2011

Year of the Dragon/Belly - Life is just Life

So here we go, another year, another new start and another desire to be better than I am. 

Kurt Hahn said that we are all better than we know, and if we can only be brought to realise this then we will never settle for anything less. What can I say about that.....I know that I can get addicted to things easily, I know I want to compete again and I know that I am better than I am at the moment.

So this is the thing, I was lying on the sofa with Rosy, my daughter, watching Wall-E when I realised ...... in the whole scheme of things, I have a great life. I'm married to a woman I love very much, we both have good jobs, I enjoy my job very much, we have a fantastic daughter, supportive family and we live in a nice area. Yes we have had troubles and yes there have been, and probably will be more times where we will feel that we are stuck in a dark tunnel with no way to get out. But i'm determined to be better than I am.

This journey to realisation, that I am currently on, actually started some time ago and, for the moment at least, is focused on fitness. Yes I know it is very cliche, being the beginning of a New Year and all that, but what else was I going to do on this day of partial realisation...... leave it a couple of months? Anyway, as I mentioned before, it actually started some time ago. Mark, a colleague from work, and I signed up to the Silverstone Half Marathon at the same time of signing up to the London Marathon. We did this because we both wanted to be better than we are and knew that with a deadline it would help us to do this. Neither of us got through the ballot to the London Marathon but Mark has been training and is well ahead of me. This is now going to end.

Being born in October of 1976 I am officially a Dragon. People born in the Year of the Dragon are healthy, energetic, excitable, short-tempered, and stubborn. They are also honest, sensitive, brave, and they inspire confidence and trust. So it's time to live up to the hype and let this be the year of the Dragon and not the year of my belly.


I'm going to write up a training schedule, keep to it, grow some will power and stop eating crap.

I'm going to stop dividing life into good/bad, right/wrong and sick/healthy. After all, LIFE IS JUST LIFE, with seasons and cycles, like change in the weather. It's time to be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment