Sunday 9 January 2011

First week, first hurdle.



Here we are, one week later and just a little the wiser.

A great week at school, I managed to start off my training, albeit very slowly, and i've also started clearing the garage so I can get serious. Before that gets sorted though, i'm stuck on either going out for a run or going on the Wii Active. I opted for the latter and managed four, thirty minute sessions on consecutive days before eventually getting too tired/bored to carry it out the next morning. Because of this, it meant that Thursday evening involved a slight 'pig out' session that resulted in me feeling quite sick on going to bed.

So what have I learnt? I've learnt that i've got to spread out the training with rest days and get up at reasonable times, on occasion, in order to ensure I don't lose interest. I've also learnt that when I feel like a slight 'pig out' session, I need to have something to hand that will take my mind of it and at the moment I believe a short thirty minute exercise session will do the trick. I had thought that an exercise bike would do the trick, a nice silent one that would enable me to watch TV as well as stay in the comfort of my own home. This would also get me in training for my London:Paris bike ride, at the end of July. But on speaking with Jona, the deputy head at my school, I now understand that this artificial biking experience may get me fitter, but it will not get me used to actually riding my bike as it is both a different riding position and feel. Instead, I need a 'Turbo Trainer', an ingenious devise that the rear wheel of the bike sits on and then essentially does the same job.

There are now some tasks that I must complete in order to stay on track. A friend, Rich, has donated an exercise bike to my cause, which is unfortunately too noisy to use whilst watching tv. 
1) I need to use this in the mornings mixed in with Wii Active to keep my activities fresh and different,


2) I need to clear out the rest of the garage to make room for this and to set up some resistance training bands,


3) I need to include proper rest days into my schedule, and


4) I need to get a proper bike and a Turbo Trainer system.


I believe this next week will get better, at least I hope it will. It's now 8:45am on Sunday and I can hear Rosy, my daughter, begin to stir. Time to be a Doting Daddy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment